A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Just call me the "anti-Fashionista"

Mrs. Figby recently posted her Top 10 Fashion Tips for Women 30+.

I read the list and winced.

I, it seems, am a walking fashion disaster.

10.  I wear yoga pants, knit pants, and sweats on a regular basis.  I am neither 10 pounds underweight (sigh), nor do I have "taut, round buttocks" (Shrek 2), alas.  But comfort reigns supreme in the Omega Household!

9.  I was going to say "I'm good here", but then I realized...while I don't wear Uggs, I wear cheap imitation Uggs purchased from Costco.  While I don't wear Crocs, I wear cheap imitation Crocs from Target to work in the garden sometimes, but they make my feet sweat.  (Do real Crocs make your feet sweat?  If so, I will never wear them.)

8.  My socks rarely match my pants.  They always match my top.  I think it's fun and funky, and I make a point of it.

7.  Whew.  I get off on this one--I haven't worn a miniskirt in more years than I am willing to mention.  Anyone who went through the angst-ridden adolescent years during the period in which there were no other types of skirts to be purchased knows exactly what I mean.  Walking up stairs in high school in a miniskirt with obnoxious loud-mouthed hormonal teen boys following behind you is one reason why.  Filing papers in the bottom drawer of a four-drawer file cabinet in an office full of mid-40's salesmen is reason #2.

6.  I wear leggings sometimes.  Comfort, again.

5.  All the wrap dresses I have seen in stores are ugly and I have sworn I will never own one.  Ah, well, at least they are better than the Marcia Brady styles that were so popular two years ago!  My favorite style of dress is a princess-seam.  (Yes, it's a Laura Ashley.  So sue me.)  If you've got a waist, fer cryin' out loud, show it off.

4.  I don't have big boobs, but they do, on occasion, come across billowy and pillowy.  Nonetheless, I wear turtlenecks a lot.  Like almost every day.

3.  Ah!  Another one I am home-free on!  I can't wear capris.  They make my bulgy calves look extra bulgy.

2.  Now this one I am in complete agreement with:

Only wear clothes you feel great in. Likewise, when shopping, only buy clothes that make you feel great. If you feel great, chances are you look great.

In fact, if I were giving out fashion advice, this would be the one and only piece of advice needed.  I'd make it number one, but Mrs. Figby has an agenda, revealed by her number one piece of fashion advice...

1.  Gasp.  Shudder.  Horror of horrors--I wear "mom jeans".  All.  The.  Time.  Because they feel comfy.  Admittedly, no acid-wash stuff passes the portals of the Omega Household.  What's worse is that a big butt and hefty thighs coupled with a small waist mean that the solution is (1) buy elastic waist jeans; (2) buy jeans that fit the butt and thighs, but not the waist; or (3) buy custom-made jeans.  Because no manufacturer in the world (that I know of) makes off-the-shelf jeans that fit the Victorian model of female physique comfortably.

And comfort is what makes OmegaMom a happy camper.

(Now, Mrs. Figby, this is not to be taken as a flame--just a rueful admission that OmegaMom is far from fashionable!  Read it all with a wink!)

OmegaMom (lookin' good!) and Dotter (grimacing) at the recent Christmas Craft Fair, showing off the lack of fashion:

Technorati:

posted by Kate @ 11/28/2006 11:13:00 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 11/29/2006 01:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You look pretty good to me, Kid.

    Maternal Unk Hermano

     
  • At 11/29/2006 04:37:00 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Putting the cutoff at 30 seems kinda young... from the perspective of "way past that". But I don't have to worry about breaking fashion rules, since I wear jeans, t-shirts, and tennis shoes every day.

     
  • At 11/29/2006 07:05:00 AM, Blogger Johnny said…

    My MIL wears this EVERY-SINGLE-DAY:

    1) jeans
    2) a 3XL t-shirt that drops down to her knees

    Billowy & Pillowy [blush] - I thought this was a family show!

     
  • At 11/29/2006 11:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, Omegamom, you know I love you no matter what you wear. And if you don't care much about fashion, my post doesn't apply to you, anyway. :)

     
  • At 11/29/2006 02:14:00 PM, Blogger Julie Pippert said…

    You two are looking great!

    I wear what washes easily adn feels comfortable (aka allows me to move freely).

    That's my fashion criteria. Period.

    Oh, and what hides snot, food, spills, and other stains that likely come from sitting on the ground frequently. Since i'm the human tissue LOL.

    Wrinkle-free and stain resistant and washable. Comes cheap at Target. Another good criteria. Cheap. Then I don't much care. :)

    Sigh. It's so good to be BACK!!!!

     
  • At 11/29/2006 08:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You and the Dotter are beautiful! Fashion-wise, you are a woman after my own heart.

    Maybe because I'm about to turn 44 next month, I simply cannot grasp the current jeans obsession. I have no illusions that anyone is looking at my ass, except maybe to mistakenly glance at it and quickly look away while saying, "Akkk, my eyes!" I have not and will not spend excess time or money searching for the so-called right pair of jeans.

    The 2 fashion rules I have for myself are: 1) wear what is comfy (i.e., jeans that fit my big ass and thighs), and 2) wear what is easy to care for (wash 'n wear). If I find something I like, I often buy several of the same thing in different colors. In the summer (9 months of the year here) I wear sandals or clogs; in the winter, shearling lined clogs usually with wool blend ankle sox.

    You may have seen me pictured with the black rectangle over my eyes in any women's magazine. I am sure I'll be a fashion embarrassment for my daughter once she's old enough to give a shit. Fortunately, she's 2 now so I've got a couple years to hone my bag lady look.

     
  • At 11/29/2006 09:48:00 PM, Blogger One Lucky Mom said…

    Mrs. Figby would be appalled by my weekend wardrobe. And my socks rarely match anything I'm wearing!

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf