A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Beauty school dropout

In which the word "I" is preponderant, and some musings about discipline etc.

After the first few hours, when I was moping and sulking and MAD! AT! MYSELF! for blowing NaBloPoMo, I was gifted with an amazing feeling of freedom and relief.

No more looming deadlines!  No more watching the clock!  No more muttering to myself as I trekked through my daily routine, "Hmmm...is that a good subject?" or "Omigod, I don't have a post today!  What am I going to do?!"

At first, I was starting the posts the day before, tweaking and adding things the next morning and then *BLAM* posting them.

Then I went down the hill to visit OmegaGranny for the evening, and that pleasant, relaxing, well-ahead-of-the-curve style of posting went out the window (but it was worth it!).  Suddenly, it was much more pressure than before.

I've always wisted a bit after having a daily column in a newspaper somewhere.  As a result of this exercise, I think all NaBloPoMo-ers have a better understanding of just how difficult it can be to keep at it, every day.  Now I just want a column every three days.  That's doable!

I had resolved not to do fluff posts.  No lists for me!  No memes!  No post-a-pics!  Not one word about the project itself!  No "here's my obligatory NaBloPoMo post for the day" hit-and-runs.  Which I did manage to do.  But it's damned hard to have that deadline and that pressure--blogging has been mostly a work of love (and self-indulgence) for me.

All that said, here's to all the NaBloPoMo-ers!  Keep on keeping on, guys & gals, and may you enjoy yourselves and learn something from the exercise.

In the end, the question of how to pronounce NaBloPoMo.  At first, I was reading it as "Nah-blow-poe-moe", which is intensely awkward.  But suddenly, one day, I looked at it as a word, and realized how it's really pronounced:  "Nah-BLOP-ah-moe".  I leave my fellow NaBloPoMo-ers with that gift.

Technorati: ,

posted by Kate @ 11/19/2006 08:54:00 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 11/19/2006 10:14:00 AM, Blogger Granny J said…

    And I was getting used to a regular post from my dahling dotter...looking forward to it, even... everyday! A little secret:
    the pictures make it much easier!

     
  • At 11/20/2006 12:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ok, I'm grateful. I couldn't figure out the pronounciation or the meaning of that annoying phrase, and I was pretty much unwilling to read you regularly because I hated the damned gun barrel pointed at me.

    your pronounciation guide did nothing to help me understand just what the f*** it means.

    Liz

     
  • At 11/21/2006 08:09:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Mamasan--You have a different style on your blog. I do picture-laden posts now & then, but it's not my focus.

    LizC--I'm sorry! I always pictured that gun pointed at me, not at my readers! NaBloPoMo = National Blog Posting Month, a take-off on NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month. NaNoWriMo requires 50,000 words; NaBloPoMo requires a post a day. (When I'm feeling ambitious, I will go through those posts and switch out the icon to something less threatening.)

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf