A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
A fickle and changeful thing is a woman

OmegaDotter's One and Only True Love has been suddenly pushed into the background by the new teacher at her preschool, Mr. Tad.

To me, Mr. Tad looks like a boy, as if he's just barely begun shaving.  He's in college, of course, so I suppose to an almost-five-year-old, he looks like quite the grown-up.

She spent the weekend telling me, off and on, about how Mr. Tad will hold her hands and swing her around in the air...how he chases after her making monster noises, and then she chases him, doing the same.  She counted down the days until Monday, saying to me, multiple times, "Mr. Tad is going to be at school on Monday!"

She filled my ears with Mr. Tad on the drive in to school this morning.

And this evening, when I picked her up from school and we were about to leave the 4's room into the hallway--she stopped me, and said, "Oh!  Let's go through Miss Betty's room, instead!", as if it were a sudden thought.  (There's a doorway into that room, too.)  It just happens that Mr. Tad was sweeping Miss Betty's room.

OmegaDotter carefully placed her cool pink sunglasses on, tugged at the bottom of her sweater, and very casually walked through Miss Betty's room, very carefully not looking at Mr. Tad until he said, "Goodnight, Dotter!" and then added, "Cool shades!"

She dimpled a smile at him, said, "Thank you!", and sort of tossed her hair.

Then she walked sloooowly out of Miss Betty's room, into the hall, and didn't stop walking slooowly (with a glance over her shoulder) until she knew he could no longer see her.

Oh.  My.  God.  How on earth am I going to handle her when she's a teenager?!

And how on earth am I going to be able to hide my amusement at her current crush?!

Technorati: ,

posted by Kate @ 11/13/2006 06:35:00 PM  
9 Comments:
  • At 11/13/2006 09:07:00 PM, Blogger Granny J said…

    And then there was Balasz...I do believe you were older than 4, however.

     
  • At 11/13/2006 09:11:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Hah. I was thinking of Balasz, too. But, come, come. Balasz was brooding and darkly handsome. And an artist. Mr. Tad is...a weenie compared to Balasz.

     
  • At 11/14/2006 01:28:00 AM, Blogger Stinky Mouse said…

    You're not helping my wife's efforts as she tries to convince me we need a daughter.

    -ScottO
    (comfortable raising 3 boys)

     
  • At 11/14/2006 07:41:00 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    I love it! She is going to be a charmer... except she already is!

     
  • At 11/14/2006 01:16:00 PM, Blogger Julie Pippert said…

    BWAHAHA!

    Classic!

    Well, in the teen years, you can rest easy knowing she has SPIRIT and will put up with NO CRAP from anyone, plus you just might have a teensy inkling into her taste...

    :)

     
  • At 11/14/2006 02:13:00 PM, Blogger Vinegar Martini said…

    That is too funny! Dotter knows how to work it! Good for her!!!

    Dreading those teen years right there with ya, though!

     
  • At 11/14/2006 06:24:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Hee!!! I often wonder how I will handle D when she gets older, myself!

    So cute!

     
  • At 11/14/2006 08:24:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Scott--Aw, c'mon! Girls are fun! And your wife needs some help to not be so outnumbered!

    Miss C.--Aw, thanks!

    Julie--Hm. I surely hope her tastes improve! But "spirit"? Oh, yeah, she's got plenty of that!

    VM--I happen to know you have quite a cutie, too. So, when the time comes, you, me, Julie, and Jen can all commiserate about hormones and stuff.

    PAGent--Trust me, she's not all girly-girl and fluff. That's why this is so hilarious. I didn't even know she knew how to do this kind of thing!

    Jen--You'll have your hands full, D. is so beautiful. Maybe we can just ship them off to an all-girl's school...;-)

     
  • At 11/15/2006 05:53:00 AM, Blogger Django Sexton said…

    Be sure to start reading Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes!

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf