A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Just ducky

 

One of my first entries on this blog was my darling husband's obsession with rubber duckies.

This morning, the Omega Family ventured off to a local nursery that has a fine display of Christmas trees with themed ornaments.  There was the snowman tree, the sports tree, the fairies-and-flying-things tree, the (oh, yes, there was one) horsie tree, and the kids' toys tree.

While OmegaDad was luring the child off to the horsie tree to select one special horsie ornament, I walked past the kids' toy tree, and this little lovely caught my eye.  Ohmigawd--perfect for a stocking stuffer for the hubby!

Glancing quickly around, I saw that the spouse and daughter were distracted, and snagged the blown glass rubber duckie from the tree.  I dashed off to the cashier, and hissed at him, "Oh, please, can you ring this up quick before my husband sees it?!"

The nice young cashier swiftly began ringing the duckie up.

And then...

Then...

My frick-frackin' husband came across the store floor towards me, dotter in tow, caroling, "OH MY GOD!  We've got to have this!"

What was he carrying in his hand?

What do you think?

ARRGGGHHHH!

This man has been my bane this year vis-a-vis Christmas gifts.  He mentions something he's interested in, I carefully file it away in my "possible gifts" list, and then he goes and buys the damned thing.

Now, if my mind had been working like a well-oiled machine, I would have immediately snapped out something waspish, like, "For goodness' sake, OmegaDad, we can't afford to buy more of these silly things!", told him to put it back, and surreptitiously purchased the duckie as a surprise gift.

Did I?

Sigh.  No, I did not.  I gasped.  I stomped my feet.  I wailed, "OmegaDAAAAD!!  How could you?!"  And then I displayed my find...

Three weeks ago, he eBayed some pretty nifty brightly colored enamal saute pans.  He mentioned in passing that he wouldn't mind having some more.  I immediately went onto eBay, searched the damned things out, and purchased a set, including a size and color he didn't have yet.

This evening, when we arrived home, there was a U.S. Postal Service box on the kitchen counter.  While I was unloading OmegaDotter, luggage, and getting OmegaGranny settled in, I asked what was in the box.  He crowed as he pulled out...

A red enameled saute pan.  The color I had located.  The size I had located.  From the set I had already purchased and carefully secreted in my office at work.

Grrrr.

(Please forgive the partial post previously--in MS Live Writer, a ctl-P will automatically publish your post; I was aiming for ctl-I to turn off an italic.  Sigh.)

Technorati: , , ,

posted by Kate @ 11/24/2006 10:30:00 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 11/25/2006 05:47:00 AM, Blogger Johnny said…

    It's a guy thing. Why ask for it - when you can simply buy it?

     
  • At 11/25/2006 09:08:00 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Every man I've known is like that. Want it? Get it! And then they wonder why they get more of the same for Christmas.

     
  • At 11/25/2006 12:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My husband does that too...I haven't found a solution yet.

     
  • At 11/25/2006 01:16:00 PM, Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said…

    Tell him not to buy anything new until after Christmas, doesn't he know he's screwing up your plans?!

     
  • At 11/26/2006 06:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My husband and I have a long standing agreement on a buying moratorium for the month preceding Christmas. We are not to buy ourselves anything that could be construed as giftish during that period because of the situation you describe.

     
  • At 11/27/2006 10:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you ever seen all the rubber duckies at orientaltrading.com?

     
  • At 11/28/2006 11:23:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    I think Siuan and Anonymous have it: make an iron-clad agreement not to buy things for oneself between, say, November 1 and Christmas.

    Kate--OMG. Those duckies are just too cute for words! Stocking stuffers, here I come!

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf