A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
"When she was good, she was very, very good."

"When she was bad, she was horrid."

That's from "The Girl With the Curl in the Middle of her Forehead", which OmegaGranny used to tease me with when I was a little girl.

I'll bet you're thinking I'm speaking of OmegaDotter here, hunh?  Hunh, hunh?  Nope.  (Though it does apply.)  I am speaking of my work computer.

Removing the gig of memory (yes, it was a gig, not a meg, that was removed, durrrr) seemed to have fixed the issue.  Alas.  Alas, no.

This morning, I arrived bright & early at work, ready to dive right in.  I reached down, turned on the computer, wiggled my mouse to turn the screen on, watched while it booted up...

And immediately got the BSOD.

Sighing, I turned the machine off, and turned it on again.  Got the "The system has recovered from a serious error" message.  Selected "Start Windows XP" from the list of options.  The screen went *poof*.

I rebooted yet again.  I selected "Windows Safe Mode with Networking".  The screen went *poof*. 

I tried "Windows Safe Mode" (no networking).  *Poof*.

I tried "Last Known Good Configuration".  *Poof*.

Each time I rebooted, the manufacturer's start up bar went slower...and slower...

So.  The 'puter is in the hands of the hardware guys.  Maybe it's the hard drive?  Maybe it's the processor?  Video processor?  Who knows?  Right now, our student worker is ghosting my machine--very appropriate for the Halloween season, eh?  They're swapping out the hard drives.  There's a possibility of a loaner computer.

In the meantime, I feel like a person with his dominant hand chopped off, workwise.  Ghosting takes about four hours upstream, four hours down.  It would take me that long to configure a loaner computer for my work--I have the Oracle client, I have special macros, I have data sources set up, I have shortcuts to all the servers so I can monitor important programs, I have SnagIt for screenshots and Adobe for making PDFs, and this and that and the other.

So here I sit at home.

Perhaps I'll get a new machine out of all this.

Sigh.

In the meantime, time to pull out my graphics programs and crop and web-size some pics.

Technorati: , , ,

posted by Kate @ 10/23/2006 11:35:00 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 10/23/2006 12:25:00 PM, Blogger Vinegar Martini said…

    So you know that scene in Office space where the techno heads beat the ever loving out of their nemesis fax machine? I can just so see you doing that the next time you get the BSOD.

    Hope you get a new 'pooter' out of this!

     
  • At 10/23/2006 02:34:00 PM, Blogger RichardQuerin said…

    Your subject line got me chuckling (your pc woes did not). This is one of my daughter's favourites. She actually taught it to me as I hadn't heard it before. My daughter has a habit of also enunciating with 'P's in odd places. So she says "... when she was bad she was Porrid." (and things like the 'Pween' of England).

    Here's hoping you get a new machine out of the deal :)

     
  • At 10/26/2006 06:54:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Ms. Martini--Oh, believe me, the computer has been a source of total discontent for quite a while now! But..not only do I get a new 'puter, I get TWO (woohoo!) monitors!

    Richard--It turns out it was written by Longfellow!

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf