A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Scenes that make me cry

Dawn, over at This Woman's Work, talks about the scenes in movies that make her cry.

I have a couple.  But then, of course, I'm the kind of person who cries at commercials, so it's not hard to make me cry at movies.

The one that really, really gets me, is in Fly Away Home.  It's at the end, where the girl is leading the geese across the marshes in (Maryland?), and the song "10,000 Miles" by Mary Chapin Carpenter is playing.  I just sit there and tears stream down my face and turn into a puddle.  Why?  I don't know.  It just gets me by the heartstrings.

Another one is one Dawn mentioned, the scene in Toy Story 2 where Jessie the cowgirl is singing "When She Loved Me" (actually sung by Sarah MacLachlan)...at the end, Jessie (in memory) snuggles down happy and snug in her girl's purse (her girl is all grown up by now)...only to be left in a box by the Goodwill truck.  Ack!

A third one is the scene in The Wizard of Oz when Dorothy is saying goodbye to everyone.  She says, "And you, Scarecrow.  I think I'll miss you most of all." Sniff!  (Though, when I was googling that phrase, I found someone who thought that saying that in front of Cowardly Lion and Tin Man was just too, too hurtful to them...which I had never thought of.  I also found some mention of a "creepy subplot" that was cut from the film, which "explains" that line.  Um.  I always thought it was because Scarecrow was the first friend she found in Oz, and she just loved him a lot.)

There are books and songs that do the same thing.  The first time I read "I Love You Like Crazy Cakes" out loud to OmegaDotter (she was an itty bitty thing then), I had to stop because I was bawling.  There's The Circle Game, by Joni Mitchell, which I used to sing to OmegaDotter as one of a suite of lullabies when she was a baby.  There's Nanci Griffith's "Turn Around", which I wrote about previously.  And I remember being an early twenty-something getting drunk with some work buddies, and all of us sobbing at Linda Ronstadt songs; "Someone To Lay Down Beside Me" (which should be "Lie Down Beside Me", but, hey, I was twenty-something and into angst and not grammar) always got me.

So how about you?

Technorati: , , ,

posted by Kate @ 10/15/2006 06:33:00 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 10/15/2006 09:27:00 PM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    If I were to start listing songs that make me cry, we could be here all day. After all, I made a living playing country music on the radio. But one that really sticks out was the time period when my daughter was in China and my mother was in Africa, and I saw An American Tail and Fievel sang "Somewhere Out there" and I STILL tear up just thinking about that scene...

     
  • At 10/15/2006 10:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Crazycakes *still* makes me cry, dammit. I never used to cry at all-- even if I wanted to, I just couldn't.... until the infertility and the endless counting follicles that came to nothing, and the IVF that was such a spectacular failure.... I used to just drive around the city crying my eyes out all the damned time, because somehow my car felt private, I guess. Anyway, after all that I can cry easily, and Crazycakes always gets me for sure.

    That scene with Jessie, though? I hate that scene. Too maudlin and trying too hard for me to cry. I try to fast forward, just because it's so.... icky.

     
  • At 10/15/2006 10:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sorry. I am not anonymous... that was me. I just forgot to choose my identity.

     
  • At 10/16/2006 10:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The movie City of Angels not only made me cry at the end, I was sobbing hysterically for a good 20 minutes afterward. D practically had to inject me with a sedative to get me to calm down.

    Crazycakes made me cry the first couple of times, but then I got over it. Also, Apples' adoption video made me cry (during the footage where they bring the babies in) the first 10 or 20 times I watched it, even though I was the one who spent about a jillion hours putting it together. I still get a little misty at that part. Of course, I'm crying IN the video, too, and whenever I see someone else crying, it's a sure bet I'll well up.

     
  • At 10/16/2006 01:19:00 PM, Blogger Scribbit said…

    I don't really cry in movies but my husband SOBBED in Rudy and Simon Birch. It was a bit disturbing, evidently he'd saved it up for 35 years because he never cries. :)

     
  • At 10/16/2006 06:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The scene in The Joy Luck Club where the one mother has to leave the twin girls by the side of the road. I can go through an entire box of Kleenex with that scene!

     
  • At 10/16/2006 09:05:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Miss C.--I think I've seen An American Tail once, ages ago. Now I know not to watch it again--I don't need any more sob-fests! ;-)

    Liz--Oog, crying in the car. Yup, BTDT. As for the scene with Jessie being maudlin--well, surely *all* the scenes I'm discussing were put in simply to jerk at people's tears?

    Mrs. F.--I don't cry at our adoption pics, but I *do* cry whenever I read someone's referral. City of Angels made me weep, too, but not bawl for 20 minutes! ;-)

    Scribbit--My hubby doesn't sob at movies, but he sure gets sniffly. Then I call him a sentimental squish.

    Theresa--Y'know, I've never seen Joy Luck Club?! I've read the book, and most of Amy Tan's others as well. I think my favorite is The Kitchen God's Wife.

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf