A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Turn around
Before OmegaMom met Soon-To-Be-Mr.-OmegaMom, she had very little exposure to such musical genres as country and western and rockabilly and folkabilly. However, Mr. OmegaMom, very much a product of the region where he grew up, loved "Southern Rock", country of a very particular type, and folkabilly. So, within days of us moving in together, he introduced me to Nanci Griffith. The power of repeated exposure has turned me from someone who winces at any tinge of country or hillbilly in my music into someone who really, truly loves Nanci Griffith, and would be willing to go to one of her concerts all on my own. This evening, to avoid the Scourge Of My Little Pony videos at dinnertime, OmegaMom and OmegaDad refused to turn on a second video when the first Blues Clues ended. And when he served dinner, Mr. OmegaMom turned on the stereo--a mix of The Band, Bob Dylan (live), Fleetwood Mac, and his darling, Nanci Griffith. After we were mostly done with dinner, one of my favorites came on, entitled "Turn Around": Where are you goin' my little one, little one? Where are you goin' my baby my own? Turn around and you're two Turn around and you're four Turn around and you're a young girl Going out of the door I started singing along, as did OmegaDotter, and I began to weep. "Are you sad, Mommy?" quoth the child. "I'm happy-sad, sweetie-pie," I responded. "Why?" "Because this song is all about a mommy watching her little baby grow up, and it seems like just yesterday that you were just an itty-bitty baby, and now you're so big..." "It's a beautiful song, Mommy..." "Yes, it is. Beautiful." Good golly. Right in the midst of the Most Horrid Two Week Stint Ever, where OmegaDotter has been pitching hissy fits left and right, and being whiny and snotty and, alas, a typical four-year-old, she turns around, and is beautiful and sweet and lovey-snuggly. And I can imagine her as a teen, and as an adult, and I realize just how quickly the time passes. Turn around and you're tiny Turn around and you're grown Turn around and you're a young wife With babes of your own 'Scuse me while I go bawl my head off...Goopy sentimentalism is reigning supreme today.
Our Nanci Griffith CDs are cursed, and this CD has abruptly ended my sentimental mood: Every Nanci Griffith CD we have ends up having a bad skipping/repeating problem. Grrr. Time to break down and find a way to hook the Zen up into our sound system so we skip the skipping problem.
posted by Kate @ 5/03/2006 08:05:00 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 5/03/2006 08:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok-you have me bawling at the computer with this post OM. It seems like the time since we brought dd home 3 years ago last week just keeps whizzing by faster and faster. How can she already be finishing her first year of preschool? I already dread the thought of her going to school full day in another year and a half-and I am a teacher. I feel ready to go for #2 but dh is happy with the size of our family and of course dd wants an "older brother or sister" not a baby (which I know is possible with the WC program but I am not sure I am the type to adopt a 7 year old boy!) This may sound weird to some but I feel like if we had another my feelings for dd wouldn't be so all-consuming. I love her so much it scares me at times.
    Another Nanci Griffith fan though I haven't listened to her in quite a while-but I remember that song.Ten years ago I couldn't relate to it the way I can today.
    Now I need to go get some tissues.

     
  • At 5/03/2006 09:35:00 PM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Sniff, sniff..

    To you, four seems SO grown up. But you may as well enjoy whatever age she is NOW, because soon, you will be nostalgic for a four-year-old. I keep trying to tell myself that one day, nine years old will seem young, but its hard to believe right now.

    These kids are supposed to be BABIES!

     
  • At 5/04/2006 08:10:00 AM, Blogger Stinky Mouse said…

    - A dad to 3 boys here. Our little one has been with us for just 7 months and is now going on 3 and a half. I am in no hurry to seem him grow up.

    His oldest brother just turned 18 last weekend, and I am teaching brother number two to drive. Both amazing and wonderful events, but I do miss being able to carry them around and tuck them in their beds.

    Like Ferris Bueller says, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

     
  • At 5/04/2006 09:15:00 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Oh, Omegamom!

    There is one country song that makes me weep every time I hear it. SOmething about "when tough little boys grow up to be dads, they turn into big babies again."

    Well, there are a multitude of songs on the country station that make me weepy, but this is just one. The video for that one is all soldiers coming home, and their children running to greet them. It's kinda cheesy, but still...

    Excuse me while I go cry into my pillows...

    Amanda

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf