A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Dream house

Today, I went on an errand run to Sam's Club.

This past Saturday, OmegaDad and the dotter had gone shopping there, and come back raving about some playhouse doohickey that was out front.  I'm afraid I didn't really pay attention then, and it totally faded from my mind.

But there, outside Sam's Club, I saw it.

So I had to go take a peek.

Picture this:  A 10x10 solid wooden playhouse, rustic looking on the outside, but oh-so-luxurious on the inside.  A loft.  (Yes!  Really!  A loft!)  An itty bitty kitchen with a stainless-steel microwave, a stainless-steel mini-fridge, and granite countertop.  (Yes!  Really!  Granite!)  A big-screen TV.  (Yes!  Really!  A big-screen TV!)  Built-in window seat next to the kitchen.  Cubbies galore.  Electricity.  Plumbing.  This thing is swanky, I'm tellin' ya.

It's a "dream playhouse" for kids, a benefit lottery ($25 per ticket) for...um...I can't remember the charity.  Um.  I'm a bad, bad person.  These types of raffles are all the rage, an offshoot, I would guess, of the McMansion generation's view of houses.  Gone is the playhouse of yesteryore, essentially a big wooden box with windows cut out.  Nope, it's swank city these days.  And they can bring in big bucks, too--one that I checked out while searching for pics of this particular playhouse raised $100,000.  (No pics.  Sigh.)

Okay.  The idea, of course, is to have it put in your backyard for the kids to play in.

The thought did cross my mind.  I thought OmegaDotter would really like to have it.

But...but...wail!...I want it for myself.  All to myself!

It is so cute.  It is so cozy.  I could have a room...all to myself.  Mine.  With my stuff in it.  I could retreat to it when things got too crazy.  I could curl up on the window seat, drape a comfy blankie over myself, heat up some yummy leftovers, turn on the tube and be alone.  I could listen to music I like, cranked up full blast.  I could stare out the (double-paned Anderson) windows and daydream.

Ahhhh.

I could do it for an entire day.  Sleep upstairs in the loft.  Putter around in the playhouse.  One playhouse I found in my (fruitless) search for pics was also wired for high-speed internet; of course, I would do the same with mine.  If I won it.  If I purchased the tickets.  

An entire day alone in my little playhouse.  Ahhhh.

Then reality sets in.  Nope, it wouldn't be mine.  Nosirree, not bloody likely; it would belong to OmegaDotter and her friends, and I would probably never be allowed in except to clean house.  So, the obvious answer is...two of these playhouses.

Right?

Technorati: , ,

posted by Kate @ 10/12/2006 07:55:00 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 10/13/2006 07:48:00 AM, Blogger ©Jac said…

    Thousands of dollars for a playhouse? HOLY HECK! My Dad and his Best friend built one for us kids (we lived in a duplex) that we just adored. They even painted Winnie the Pooh characters on it! When we moved we left it with the other family, and when they moved they took it with them. I think they finally sold it when we were all aged 18....

     
  • At 10/13/2006 08:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the solution is: playhouse to get dotter and friends out of your house, and you get your house all to your self, blankies and internet connection and all.

    why do all mom fantasies revolve around sleep and alone time? I don't think Dh cares that he doesn't get much time alone in the house, but I crave it, sometimes very badly. Then if I get an hour, I don't know what to do first and I stare at the couch, just wanting to nap.

    Sigh. Pathetic.

     
  • At 10/13/2006 08:21:00 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Nope. Doesn't matter. If you have two of them, she would still want to be in yours. We have a certain bedroom that neither of the kids would sleep in. OK, fine, so I moved into it. Now the whole family is down here with me every morning when I awaken.

     
  • At 10/13/2006 09:37:00 AM, Blogger Momma Star said…

    A room of one's own? :swoon:

     
  • At 10/13/2006 10:40:00 AM, Blogger Granny J said…

    Didn't Virginia Woolf have something to say about that?

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf