A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Days of BSODs

 

My work computer is ill, severely so.  It began with an occasional simple blackout of the monitor.  I'd be working away, creating queries, writing something up, composing an email, and *poof* the screen would go black.  Moving the mouse would bring up a "No Signal In" message.  This would require me to march over to my UPS, unplug the computer, replug it, return to my desk, turn the computer on, and strive to recreate the query, timeless prose, or goofy joke I was working on at the time.

Then it escalated into an occasional BSOD.

(For those who don't know, BSOD is the Blue Screen of Death.)

Then it started happening multiple times per day.

My computer was set to restart automatically after a BSOD.  Even after I changed that setting, so that it's supposed to sit there with the blue screen staring at me, it continues to automatically restart.  Thus, I don't even get a chance to see what exactly is going on when it BSODs.

We've swapped out the video card.  We've swapped out the monitor.  We've rolled back to the Windows version prior to Oct. 6 (Small Mountain University pushes forced Windows Updates through to all on-campus computers).

It blanked out and BSODed twice while I was manually updating the system.

This is what I want to do to that computer...

Technorati: , ,

posted by Kate @ 10/17/2006 10:52:00 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 10/18/2006 07:56:00 AM, Blogger Space Mom said…

    My apologies. Can you upgrade to Linux or Mac?

     
  • At 10/18/2006 09:21:00 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    Spacemom: Pbbbbbtttttttt! I just knew someone was going to suggest that! ;-) Nope, SMU is firmly tied to Windoze. In the meantime, we're thinking my problem is related to hardware...everyone else's in the department is related to (gak) the Windows Update

     
  • At 10/18/2006 11:16:00 AM, Blogger Scribbit said…

    I'm with you, I love my laptop but the minute it's wonky I'm screaming at it. Good thing Andrew's a techy-wiz.

     
  • At 10/18/2006 09:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we hate windows, you know, we smug happy mac users. every time I try it at the office I run screaming at its horrid clunkiness and the misery it brings.

    You have surely seen the haiku error messages, which I love, and I must quote this one to you tonight:

    Windows NT crashed.
    I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

    and perhaps this one, too, becasue I love them all:

    A crash reduces
    your expensive computer
    to a simple stone.

     
  • At 10/18/2006 11:28:00 PM, Blogger baffle said…

    What a coincidence!
    Just yesterday, I too posted a 'hammer to the computer' pic on my blog.

    My problem was not so much with my computer (I'm another confessed mac-smug) but with blogger.

    Sometimes I just don't 'get it'. For example: when I'm not able to post because of a message about my HTML not able to be accepted because a tag is not closed (they all looked closed to me).

    Hmmmmm....
    Granted I'm new to this blogging stuff, but
    HUH?!?

    I'm still trying to figure out how to fix my posting problem. In the meantime, best of luck with your computer woes!

     
  • At 10/19/2006 05:41:00 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    I hope you know, you are not alone.

     
  • At 10/19/2006 05:42:00 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Here's a more direct link.

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf