A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
THE SMELL strikes back!

Way back in April, I posted about THE SMELL in our Little Green Car.  But shortly thereafter, the weather got warm, we were able to keep windows open, and after a great spring-cleaning, all was well.

So this weekend, there was a skunk in the driveway.

Factor number one.

This weekend, on our wanderings around the Big City, I think some milk got spilled, and promptly baked in the 100F sunlight.

Factor number two.

It's been raining like hell around here for a week...can't leave car windows open.

Factor number three.

One + two + three = ONE BIG SMELL

Opening the car door Monday morning was...awful.  Opening the door this morning was...hideous.  Luckily, the mornings are clear, so we could have the car windows wide open as I drove down the highway, fresh air piling in and pushing rancid, putrid, gagging smell out.

In the grand scheme of things, THE SMELL is small.  No-one is bombing our house.  None of the Omegas are suffering from cancer, or Alzheimer's, or a newborn baby with an odd metabolic disorder that will require said baby to take a specific medication every day of his life.  We are gainfully employed.  Life is good.

Except for THE SMELL.

It made OmegaDotter spend an inordinate amount of time going, "EWWWWWW!"

It made me worry about what sort of nasty residual scent was wafting along with me as I walked through the hallways at the office.

So this time, instead of us doing the cleaning, I am calling in the Big Guns. 

The Big Guns, alas, cost a boatload of money.  I specifically asked them if they used enzymatic cleaners on their upholstery and carpet shampoos; they said yes.  We shall see.  Wish us luck.  Donations accepted.

Technorati: , , ,

posted by Kate @ 8/15/2006 07:16:00 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 8/16/2006 07:30:00 AM, Blogger Vinegar Martini said…

    We currently have "the smell" in the office breakroom and none of the software engineers can fathom where it's coming from and they keep opening the refrigerator causing 'the smell' to waft down the halls.

    Fabreeze is a lovely product until the big guns get done.

     
  • At 8/16/2006 08:00:00 AM, Blogger Space Mom said…

    I have often discovered that smell when I sippy cup has spilled, but it goes away eventually.

    My worst discovery was when I cleaned up my Contour to sell, I found raisins. As in "home made raisins" from the grapes we had in the car!

     
  • At 8/16/2006 08:00:00 AM, Blogger Space Mom said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8/16/2006 08:04:00 AM, Blogger Carol Anne said…

    Be glad you don't have ginko trees around you. It is getting close to the time when they drop their berries all over the street. Makes your shoes and cars smell like BARF. It's a two month ordeal.

    I agree with Vinegar Martini -- Fabreeze is the way to go for stink IN the car. Don't forget to spray into the vents (when the fan is turned off).

    You have my deepest sympathy!

     
  • At 8/16/2006 04:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Reminds me of the recent car trip we took to Omegamom-n-pop's place with an Aussie. He had never had this olfactory experience before, even on a singular occasion, and was graced with a "5 skunk drive"! He was impressed.

     
  • At 8/16/2006 08:27:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    VM--I've had some adventures with my refrigerator...when the dotter, whose nose is more dainty than mine, holds her nose when the fridge door opens, it's time to mount a Search & Destroy Mission.

    SpaceMom--That's what happened last time, but this time, it was dreadful. I think it was the baking that did it.

    CarolAnne--Baking soda actually helped (the folks at the car detailing place said to do it)...but it also left large splotches of white on my black jeans. Oops!

    Hi, Lane! Folks, meet my cuz.

    PAGent--I'm hoping that the detailing pays off. So far (fingers crossed), so good. I don't want to have a smelly cross to bear when we go to sell the car!

     
  • At 8/17/2006 09:19:00 AM, Blogger RenĂ©e said…

    oh ick....hard to believe, but the smell of rotten milk on mini-van carpet can bring one to their knees. I can't imagine rotting flesh could be any worse. I do believe that's a right of passage for any vehicle that transports children. ::shudder:: I hope your car is stink-free soon.

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf