A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Testing LiveWriter

This is a test post using Windows LiveWriter.  Supposedly, LiveWriter is a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) blog posting software that resides on your home computer, links to your blogging site, and allows you to compose blog posts like a word-processing document.  (So far, so good--it is actually showing me what my blog will look like as I type, woohoo!  Blogspot's editor doesn't do that--it just shows you Times Roman...this interface lets me see how my post title looks--blue bar with bolded white text--and what the typestyle of my blog is.)

It was easy enough to download and install, though reading the license agreement was...um...well, like anything legalese from Micro$oft, unnerving.  It's part of their whole "Live" line of applications, which integrates with Messenger, Net Passport, Live This and Live That, so the license agreement has to cover just about everything associated with those items.

I tried the "Insert Picture" from the tool menu on the right-hand side; it opens up your computer pictures...I'd rather have the option to cruise to a website (currently, I host my pics on Photobucket).  When I cancelled out of that dialog box, it dropped my cursor to the very beginning of my post, rather than back where it was when I clicked on the "Insert Picture" option.  However, when I went to the Insert menu on the top toolbar, and did the same thing, it placed my cursor back where I was when I opened up the dialog box.  An inconsistency.

One thing that I am curious about, before I wholeheartedly endorse this product, is what kind of HTML code it produces.  I have used FrontPage quite a lot, and occasionally (foolishly) clicked on "save as web page" in Word.  Both styles drop a boatload of unnecessary and bloated HTML.  The recent redesign of my blog was deliberately set up to be CSS, lean and mean, with no unnecessary tags.  Once I publish this post, I'll take a look, then come back and edit to mention how the HTML looks.

I've also downloaded and installed a plug-in for it called "Tag4Writer", which lets you pop in tags for Technorati, de.li.cious, LiveJournal, and a whole slew more categorizing services.  Woohoo!

ETA:  Okay, I posted (click on the "Publish" icon, very easy), and looked at the HTML.  Amazingly enough, unlike most Micro$oft bloatware, there were no weird and unnecessary HTML tags.  Color me impressed.

I don't think they have a Mac version, sorry, folks!

Thanks to Kent Newsome for the pointers!

Technorati: , ,
de.li.cious: , ,

posted by Kate @ 8/14/2006 11:04:00 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 8/15/2006 03:17:00 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    I don't think I would want to work with a program that doesn't show html. On the other hand, I use Movable Type at Yesbutnobutyes, and they ONLY have html, not WYSIWYG. That took a bit of getting used to.

     
  • At 8/15/2006 11:46:00 AM, Blogger Space Mom said…

    I would certainly like a better interface than what I get with typepad, but I do want to see HTML for those times the WYSIWYG sucks and you just want to edit the hyper text.

     
  • At 8/15/2006 12:05:00 PM, Blogger Granny J said…

    Putting on my old editorial hat, a comment or two:

    1. M$s letter spacing is b-a-d. Much too much air. Compare yr previous post with the current one. Perhaps if you went with flush left, ragged right, the spacing would be better.

    2. This may not be M$s fault -- the righthand margin was too close to the matter in the 3rd column.

    Otherwise it sounds like a good editor. Too bad a Mac version isn't available.

     
  • At 8/15/2006 02:29:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Oops. Miss C., SpaceMom, it does have HTML view, I just didn't trust it. Wanted to do a "View Source" just to see what really happens. Should have made that clear!

    Mamasan, the bad spacing is due, alas, to your viewing the text in (a) BIG TYPE, and (b) a Mac. The spacing on that post looks pretty much like the spacing on all the other posts. The left column being too close is also related to the BIG TEXT thing; it shows up when I change the type size upwards. Urgh.

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf