A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
More...
So the latest is here: Orphanages Involved in Infant Trafficking* Note, waaaay down at the bottom of the article, this: "Some of them were even sold to foreign adopters, said the official, adding that they are now looking into the hometowns and whereabouts of the trafficked infants." So. Does this mean foreign adopters working outside the Chinese system? Or does this mean foreign adopters who used the (naively believed by me) squeaky-clean Chinese adoption system? Dunno. I emailed our agency. True to its word, they responded within 24 hours. In fact, the director of the agency emailed me back almost right away, saying that they are asking their Chinese staff to investigate and clarify, and that he will keep everyone updated as soon as they get more news. Then, of course, he says that, so far as the agency knows, all adoptions are through "reputable" orphanages. The swiftness of the response makes me think that I'm not the first to email/call them! Me = naive. Sigh. I'm beginning to think that the folks who say corruption is inevitable in any form of international adoption (which is usually from poor areas to richer countries) may be more correct than I thought. I changed my link title; I was thinking "Welfare organs" meant charity organizations, but now I think they're talking about the Social Welfare Institutes themselves. Categories: [Hunan Situation] [Adoption Issues]
posted by Kate @ 12/02/2005 07:04:00 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 12/03/2005 08:42:00 PM, Blogger Carol Anne said…

    The blinders came off my eyes about a year ago. Some southern Guangdong provinces were investigated for the same thing. A director at an orphanage near my eldest daughter's was replaced for "irregularities". It's scary, but I'm confident the eldest's orphanage is on the up-and-up.

    I'm just waiting for the same thing to be heard of in Jiangxi. I almost wonder if things aren't being investigated province by province.

     
  • At 11/30/2006 04:09:00 PM, Blogger Charlie Cory said…

    I fear that your comment is probably correct.

    Adoption is a marketplace to many, and whilst some people are willing to participate in that market, there will always be something to sell. Sadly in this case, it is children.

    Adopting an Infant

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf