A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Pure contentment

While in the midst of the marathon attempt at cleaning house ("attempt" because every time I cleaned, someone in the house would drop something, move something, accrete something, and the "cleaning" would be, once again, messed up), I found a bag.

The bag contained books from OmegaBro & family, leftover from when their kids were toddlers/preschoolers.  I rummaged through the bag, realized what a trove it was, went through the books, and placed most of them on OmegaDotter's bookshelf.

One, however, I kept aside.

Titled "Little Star", it's the tale of a young Indian girl, Little Star, who (whaddasurprise) loves horses.  She is given a beaded necklace by her grandmother, a necklace that will grant her one wish.  She encounters numerous situations where she wants to use her wish, but finally uses it to help save a mare in foal...and her father gives her the foal, which has a star upon its forehead.

Well, of course I had to pull it out for OmegaDotter.  Much more to her tastes than, say, "Big Dinosaurs of the World" (from the nephew's collection).  (Though she'll like that, too, but not half as much.)

I snuck it beneath her brand new "Raggedy Ann" book by our bedside.

When bedtime came about, OmegaDotter went to get "Raggedy Ann"...and found "Little Star" just beneath it.  She took in a breath...she leafed through it...she demanded we read it for her bedtime story.

She snuggled down beside me, handed me the book, and said, "Whose book is this?"

I told her the story of the bag of books, and said, "It's yours, lovey."

"Mine...?!" she breathed.

"Yours."

"You saved it for me?"

"Of course, lovey."

She had such a smile of shining, trusting joy on her face.  It's hard to describe, but it was the essence of "you saved this special book just for me, and it's so exciting, and I love you so very much for knowing I would like it."  She kept sneaking little sparkling sideways looks at me with that special smile of joy while I read the story.  Then, when she snuggled down in her little bed besides ours, she still had that smile on her face.

Man.  That was just...well, if I could bottle that special moment up, I would, so I could take it out again on cold, grey, drizzly days, just to feel all warm and wiggly inside again.  One of the shining moments of motherhood, that's for sure.

Technorati:

posted by Kate @ 1/02/2007 09:29:00 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 1/03/2007 11:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Darn you for making me cry in my lunch. That was beautiful.

     
  • At 1/03/2007 12:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, man, I know exactly what you're talking about. The other day while I was out, I spotted a book that I knew Zen would love and bought it for him. When I got home, he was in Brainiac's room, playing. I stood in the doorway and when he looked my way, I wordlessly pulled it out of the bag and held it up for him to see. The look of complete surprise and delight on his face stayed with me for days.

     
  • At 1/03/2007 07:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's little moments like that that you want to remember forever. Very sweet.

     
  • At 1/04/2007 06:38:00 PM, Blogger Andromeda Jazmon said…

    How lovely. Thanks for sharing that joy!

     
  • At 1/05/2007 06:05:00 PM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Aw, thats just wonderful!

     
  • At 1/05/2007 06:15:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thank you so much for reminding me why.

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf