A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
I drank the Kool-Aid long ago

I ran across this article in The Washington Post on This Woman's Work and The Daily Bastardette.  Marly (Bastardette) kindly linked to the comments to the original article.

The gist:  titled "My Father Was An Anonymous Sperm Donor", the article is written by a young lady who is at Gaulledet University.  She describes--rather clearly, in my opinion--what it was like for her growing up with absolutely no connection to her father.  No stories.  No memories.  No family history.  Nothing.  The commentary...well, it runs the gamut, from folks saying, "Wow!  Great article, Katrina!" to professionals (!!) saying, "My goodness, I'd never thought of that!" to other sperm donor offspring saying, "I certainly never felt like that!" (with the implication--or outright accusation--that Katrina was WRONG for feeling the way she felt) to people using her story to condemn lesbian and gay marriage, unmarried women having children, abortion, liberals, conservatives, and The Decline And Fall Of The Western World.

Read 'em, then come back.

It's interesting to see the point of view of The Man On The Street.  I read the article and said to myself, "Hunh.  Well-written, somewhat affecting.  Nice to see another donor offspring writing this up."

But it seems that the whole concept of donor offspring--and adoptees--having (gasp!) feelings for themselves about the way they came into the world and/or came into their families is...somewhat upsetting to the outside world.

Kozmik All forbid that an adoptee should want to find his or her biological family.  Why, that automatically means that the adoptee is:  bitter, ungrateful, raised by bad parents, unloving, unloved, angry, rejecting his or her "real" family, immature, psychologically damaged in some way, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I read the commentary from the "outside world" and am flummoxed.

This child we were blessed to be able to raise is a full and complete human being on her own.  She didn't spring, fully formed, from Zeus's forehead.  We didn't find her in a cabbage patch.  She wasn't delivered by the stork.

She has lots of my mannerisms.  She has lots of OmegaDad's mannerisms.  But there's yet another part of her that is always endlessly new and unfamiliar, which comes from her genetic makeup.

It will not be a commentary on my parenting or OmegaDad's parenting if she decides, at a later age, that she wants to try to find her biological parents.  It won't mean she hates us.  It won't mean she's immature or bitter or damaged or rejecting.  To be fair, I have to say it could mean those things.  But I've read enough commentary from adult adoptees and adult donor offspring to know that there's a very natural and very deep urge for people to want to know where they come from, what their roots are.

I grew up knowing where the notch in the back of my head came from--my dad had it, my brothers both had it, some cousins on that side of the family have it, too.  I know I look almost exactly like my Aunt.  I know that my mother's friends all said I looked like her, while my father's friends all said I looked like him.  I know that the practical, pragmatic part of my personality echoes many women on my mother's side.  I know that depression and diabetes run in my father's family.  I know that uterine cancer runs on my mother's side.  These are all pieces of my background that I grew up knowing...it's all part of my "place" in the world.

Love is not tied to biology--most people find someone (or multiple someones) to love in their lives who are not tied to them in any way biologically.  You can love a child wildly and deeply even though you have no "blood ties".

But I had the luxury of knowing that "place" in the world, that set of physical, emotional, biological traits that are so comfortable they fit like an old shoe.  Why should having my dotter want to find someone who fills in some of those gaps make me--or others--feel that she doesn't love me?  That the natural urge to fill in some missing pieces means that she's bitter or angry?

I dunno.  Like I say in the title, I drank the Kool-Aid long ago.  None of this is new to me, none of it is shocking.  But apparently it is to people who see adoption and donor conception from the outside looking in and are introduced to these concepts for the first time.

Technorati:

posted by Kate @ 12/19/2006 08:50:00 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 12/20/2006 09:59:00 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Some folks can't comprehend that its not an either/or concept. My daughter loves me fiercely, but also wants to find her birthmother. There is nothing to fault her for there.

     
  • At 12/20/2006 10:56:00 AM, Blogger Space Mom said…

    I was not shocked that the author wanted to have a connection with her biological father. That's okay and I see nothing wrong with that.

    What confused me was her anger over the situation. I am not saying her feelings are invalid. Obviously she feels them so they are valid, but is it a case of a young person who is still immature in the sense of wanting a completeness that others have just because she doesn't? I am not wording this right, but somehow it it came across that she missed her father only in that others had fathers. Not that she missed her father in his own right. Does that make sense?

    I have two adopted cousins. One has found her bio family, one doesn't care. Each deals in their own way and neither way is right or wrong...

     
  • At 12/20/2006 10:37:00 PM, Blogger Julie Pippert said…

    I'm confused by the confusion. Like you, I completely believe that:

    "Love is not tied to biology--most people find someone (or multiple someones) to love in their lives who are not tied to them in any way biologically. You can love a child wildly and deeply even though you have no "blood ties". But I had the luxury of knowing that "place" in the world, that set of physical, emotional, biological traits that are so comfortable they fit like an old shoe. Why should having my dotter want to find someone who fills in some of those gaps make me--or others--feel that she doesn't love me? That the natural urge to fill in some missing pieces means that she's bitter or angry?"

     
  • At 12/21/2006 11:22:00 AM, Blogger Granny J said…

    Hey -- I like your Christmas colors! Did you just make the shift -- or have I been out of it?

     
  • At 12/21/2006 05:11:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Miss C.--That either/or seems to be stuck in lots of people's minds.

    SpaceMom--I think that the anger she is describing is more in the past, an anger that occupied her as an adolescent. That, and the fact that many, many people who adopt or conceive via donor simply don't give much thought to the *person* who is the result.

    Julie--I think, given your background with IF, you probably did some research into adoption, right? That sort of puts you into the "inside" camp...

    Mamasan--Nope, you haven't missed anything! I switched it (nice and easy with stylesheets, woohoo!) yesterday.

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf