A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
HR Puff...and stuff...and stuff...and stuff...

We have too much stuff.

It migrates through the house.

It congregates on the kitchen counter, the dining table, all over my office, the dotter's bedroom.

It provides an excellent hiding place for growing dustbunnies.

It provides endless entertainment for the monster kitten.

(We are still finding Christmas ornaments.  When MK starts batting something around the kitchen we discover it's one of the ornaments.  Having had one of MK's accidental discoveries explode when he whapped it into a door, leaving billyuns and billyuns of teeny tiny glittery bits of glass in the carpet, I don't want any more.  Please.)

My darling OmegaDad has a sad tendency to help accumulate more stuff.  He likes to bring the dotter little cheap-o gifties from the gift shops when he's out in the field.  As a result, we have more stuff.

The dotter brings home immense loads of artwork from preschool.  As a result, we have more stuff.

I am so sick of stuff.

I have this burning (har) desire to toss a Molotov Cocktail into the front door as I leave for work one morning.  Then, when the firemen called, I could say with horrified surprise:  "OH, NO!"  Then come back to a nice, clean, charred shell of a log home and contemplate...

NO MORE STUFF.

Ahhhh.

Then the insurance company (having magically missed the evidence of the Molotov Cocktail) would put us up in a swanky rental townhome while contractors swarmed like bees through the husk, redoing all the insides.

And we would return to all-new kitchen cabinets, appliances, closets (oh, Kozmik All, what I wouldn't give for closets!!!), and...

NO MORE STUFF.

The sad reality, though, is that as soon as the lovely newly refurbished innards were available to us, we would...collect more stuff.  Sigh.

An intervention is in order.

Technorati:

posted by Kate @ 1/07/2007 12:56:00 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 1/07/2007 02:07:00 PM, Blogger Third Mom said…

    I am with you - I'm sick of all this stuff.

    Here's to simplifying in 2007! Happy New Year!

     
  • At 1/07/2007 04:50:00 PM, Blogger Johnny said…

    ebay! Have folks PAY you money to take STUFF off your hands.

     
  • At 1/07/2007 06:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like Johnny's idea. I have a friend who sells on ebay. I keep thinking I am going to start doing that with dd's baby things but I keep holding onto them...just in case...

    But I did throw out 2 huge bags of trash this past week of stuff I accumulated as a teacher but was really out of date. Clearing the clutter is my goal this year too.
    Otherwise dh is going to file for divirce. I am the packrat and he is not.

    BTW-a family from dd's preschool did have a house fire last year and your scenario was exactly what happened-minus the molatov cocktail-in their case it was the light in the turtle tank. Their home is gorgeous now. dd was their gor their son's bday party recently and all the other parents were oohing ang ahhing at how awesome their house looked.

    Just be sure to take any precious photos with you first!

    That would be all I would care about.

     
  • At 1/07/2007 07:16:00 PM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    I have to admit that life was simpler after my house burned. You find out how little you really need. As for the school art, uh-oh, you must learn to be ruthless. First, only save one page per packet. Then when you get a boxful, throw out at least half of it. you'll still have plenty!

     
  • At 1/08/2007 08:42:00 PM, Blogger The Idea Dude said…

    The title of your post alone is worth the price of admission. LOL.

    Accumulation must be one of the laws of home dynamics, because I have that problem too! If follows after the law of entropy. Too much accumulation always results in one big mess!

     
  • At 1/09/2007 06:46:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Third Mom--Simplifying in 2007! What a great rallying cry!

    Johnny--I'm talking things like three separate copies of Breyer's catalogs, the dotter's toys magically undergoing mitosis and multiplying, too many old towels...stuff that even eBayers wouldn't want! Though I have considered going through our huge library and pruning out the books that we simply don't read...

    Theresa--I'm thinking of burning some CDs with our pics and putting them in our safe deposit box. Every time fire season starts revving up, this is one of my plans.

    Miss C.--You've had a house fire?! Ack! I'm just joking! As for the artwork--oh, I'd be able to pare it down ruthlessly; it's the hubby who is a sentimental mush and wants to keep everything!

    Idea Dude--Welcome! The law of entropy definitely applies to households. That's why it's sometimes easier to just move every few years. We would throw out a boatload of shit every time we moved. We've been here 8 years now--that's a lot of stuff!

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf