Friday, March 17, 2006
On a rampage
- My daughter has two "real mothers", and my status as her adoptive mother is in no way threatened by acknowledging this fact.
- Writing a letter to your agency to ask if they are in contact with the CCAA about the Hunan baby-trafficking situation, and telling them you are concerned about the possibilities, is not "going on a diatribe" or "dissing China". (Insert OmegaMom rolling her eyes here.)
- People who are waiting for referrals should be just as concerned as people who already have their children home--not because any such letter writing is going to cause China to "shut down international adoptions" and their referrals are in peril (I am rolling my eyes again), but because if potential adoptive parents bury their heads in the sand and close their eyes to any possibilities of corruption and go "la la la, I can't hear you!", they are part of the problem, not the solution. I welcome anyone who thinks otherwise to look at the Vietnam program, the Romanian one, the Cambodian one, the Guatemalan one, and others. Each and every one of those programs got cut off because of rising evidence of baby-trafficking. Some of those programs were re-opened after the corruption was rooted out. I would much rather have a reputedly squeaky-clean international adoption stay that way, thankyewverramuch.
- My daughter is going to have her hair cut this weekend. (Thanks to Theresa, Liz, PAgent, Christy, et al. for the comments! I'm wit' yous, buds!)
- The Missouri state legislature is collectively burying its head in the sand if it thinks cutting off aid for contraceptives for poor women because it's not "an appropriate use of taxpayers' money" is a good move. But, hey! It'll just mean more healthy white infants available for adoption anyway, right? Do they think providing aid for more poor infants, or shoving more infants into the foster care process because of neglect or abuse, is a better use of taxpayers' money??
- Calling up a neighbor mom and saying, in a creepy voice, "Is this Jenny's mom? I've got her. You'll never see Jenny again", and then getting huffy because Jenny's mom panicked and explaining "I just wanted to let you know Jenny's playing with Jeff" is NOT FUNNY. Get a clue. (No, this did not happen to OmegaMom, but to one of OmegaMom's buds, and OmegaMom thinks her bud is incredibly restrained not to march right over to said neighbor's house and RIP HIS FUCKING HEAD OFF.)
- If you're a stay-at-home mom who feels like complaining about working moms taking advantage of you because you "have so much time", here's a thought: Tell them "no". It's a simple word. Practice it.
- Having a Chinese daughter does not make you Chinese, no matter how much you claim it. For a good take on this issue, check out Get Your OWN Cultural Identity!.
- Blogger/Blogspot is driving me nuts lately and I wish they'd just fix things. I'm tired of seeing fifty kazillion little red exclamation points on my Bloglines blogroll.
I'd like to say I feel much better now, but there are more diatribes just waiting to be vented...