A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
On a rampage

I believe:

  • My daughter has two "real mothers", and my status as her adoptive mother is in no way threatened by acknowledging this fact.
  • Writing a letter to your agency to ask if they are in contact with the CCAA about the Hunan baby-trafficking situation, and telling them you are concerned about the possibilities, is not "going on a diatribe" or "dissing China". (Insert OmegaMom rolling her eyes here.)
  • People who are waiting for referrals should be just as concerned as people who already have their children home--not because any such letter writing is going to cause China to "shut down international adoptions" and their referrals are in peril (I am rolling my eyes again), but because if potential adoptive parents bury their heads in the sand and close their eyes to any possibilities of corruption and go "la la la, I can't hear you!", they are part of the problem, not the solution. I welcome anyone who thinks otherwise to look at the Vietnam program, the Romanian one, the Cambodian one, the Guatemalan one, and others. Each and every one of those programs got cut off because of rising evidence of baby-trafficking. Some of those programs were re-opened after the corruption was rooted out. I would much rather have a reputedly squeaky-clean international adoption stay that way, thankyewverramuch.
  • My daughter is going to have her hair cut this weekend. (Thanks to Theresa, Liz, PAgent, Christy, et al. for the comments! I'm wit' yous, buds!)
  • The Missouri state legislature is collectively burying its head in the sand if it thinks cutting off aid for contraceptives for poor women because it's not "an appropriate use of taxpayers' money" is a good move. But, hey! It'll just mean more healthy white infants available for adoption anyway, right? Do they think providing aid for more poor infants, or shoving more infants into the foster care process because of neglect or abuse, is a better use of taxpayers' money??
  • Calling up a neighbor mom and saying, in a creepy voice, "Is this Jenny's mom? I've got her. You'll never see Jenny again", and then getting huffy because Jenny's mom panicked and explaining "I just wanted to let you know Jenny's playing with Jeff" is NOT FUNNY. Get a clue. (No, this did not happen to OmegaMom, but to one of OmegaMom's buds, and OmegaMom thinks her bud is incredibly restrained not to march right over to said neighbor's house and RIP HIS FUCKING HEAD OFF.)
  • If you're a stay-at-home mom who feels like complaining about working moms taking advantage of you because you "have so much time", here's a thought: Tell them "no". It's a simple word. Practice it.
  • Having a Chinese daughter does not make you Chinese, no matter how much you claim it. For a good take on this issue, check out Get Your OWN Cultural Identity!.
  • Blogger/Blogspot is driving me nuts lately and I wish they'd just fix things. I'm tired of seeing fifty kazillion little red exclamation points on my Bloglines blogroll.

I'd like to say I feel much better now, but there are more diatribes just waiting to be vented...

posted by Kate @ 3/17/2006 05:42:00 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 3/18/2006 07:58:00 AM, Blogger MomEtc. said…

    Your friend's neighbor sounds incredibly creeeeepy!

    I enjoyed that article and saw a bit of the discussion on APC (which I try to avoid now).

     
  • At 3/18/2006 08:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your first statement is so powerful to me-esp. as we approach our dd's 4th bday in one week. I think about and pray for dd's birthmother every single night. I hope each day the way I parent dd I am honoring the sacrifice her birthmother made. Thinking of how dd's referral pictures of her at around 5 months literally took dh's and my breath away-I can only imagine how beautiful she was as a newborn and how her birthmother's heart must have felt like it was being ripped apart when she felt she had no other choice re. keeping her. I'm sure that pain is still very real to her-and yet I am the one blessed to be dd's mom and watch her grow up.
    Definitely 2 real moms. Well said!

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf