A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
The sound of music
One of the things OmegaMom does not miss about city life is the clashing noise. El trains, endless traffic, cars honking, people shouting, police and fire and ambulance sirens, all combine into an ongoing, ever-present white noise that is the backdrop of city life. You get used to it, but there are times when it suddenly impinges on you and makes your mind switch from the "this is background noise" mode to "this is noise!" mode. Music was one of those city noises. Go to the beach, and someone sits down with a boombox right next to your towel. Go to the park, and three different musical genres are dueling within hearing distance. Get on the El, same thing. Part of the "I've got to have my music going loudly" thought-process is the person just wanting to drown out the background noise. Part is actually wanting to hear the music. But another part is sheer, aggressive, "My music is fuckin' GOOD music, and your music is shit". Or an advertisement of just how expensive someone's car sound system is. Or maybe it's just plain boorishness. I was forcefully reminded of this aspect of city living while swinging into the convenience store for my fix (ahhh, Mocha Frappucinos, ahhhh) on the way home. I got out of my car and was assaulted by someone else's music. It was coming from an empty car at the gas pump. Thumpa, thumpa, thumpa. Okay. Who died and made you God? Why the hell should I have to listen to your music when even you aren't there listening to it??? OmegaDad and I saw a bumpersticker the other day that said, "You make me hate music". This guy made me hate his music. This guy made me angry. This guy in his pristine white Lexus SUV was being an asshole. (Note my sexism here: I am automatically assuming it was a guy. But in my experience, the people with boomboxes pumped up to max volume have all been guys. Shoot me, I am extrapolating here. I think testosterone-laden dudes have a thang for loud noise.) So, do me and other people like me a favor: Get an iPod. Crank it up full blast. Blow your eardrums out. Just don't blow mine out, and the eardrums of people within a three-block radius? 'K? Otherwise, I'll give in to OmegaDad's entreaties for a high-bass system so he can blast polka music anytime we pull up next to someone like the Lexus asshole at a stop light. If I do, you'll regret it.
posted by Kate @ 8/04/2006 05:46:00 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 8/05/2006 03:50:00 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Kids these days... You call that music? That ain't music! Back in my day, we had REAL music, with a melody and words you could understand. By bands whose names made sense, like Led Zeppelin and the Guess Who.

     
  • At 8/05/2006 08:24:00 AM, Blogger Vinegar Martini said…

    Of COURSE it was a guy - no self respecting woman would risk hearing loss to have the bass turned up to ear splitting 'thunka thunka' levels.

    I hate that, too! Hate the music - hate the person listening to that garbage!

     
  • At 8/05/2006 02:41:00 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Oh, my goodness! I've been dealing with the city noise these days and it's driving me crazy! ON garbage day there are so many trucks mear my bedroom window it's like sleeping in a machine shed! Ack.

    There is a girl next door to me who has a love of ear-splitting music as well. It's good music, bt at three a.m? Gah!

    Amanda

     
  • At 8/06/2006 02:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was waiting for D in the grocery store parking lot the other day and some girl came driving up with her subwoofer booming away. She parked, sat in her car for about 10 minutes with the music going, then drove away. I was about ready to murder someone by the time she left.

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf