A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
The disappeared
So, according to Peepul Magazine, Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum has unveiled a lovely set piece of a celebrity family: Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, and Shiloh Pitt-Jolie. Awww. Ain't that sweet. But wait! What's missing?! Where's Maddox, adopted from Vietnam? Where's Zahara, adopted from Ethiopia? What, they dropped off the face of the earth while I wasn't celebrity watching? Oh, my! Quick, someone point me to the news stories about their disappearance! Brad and Angelina must be devastated! Horrors! What's happened to the chiiiiiildruuuun???? Y'know, all sarcasm and facetiousness aside, I'm normally not one to get hot under the collar about perceived "adoptionism". A lot of things that would have the Big List in an uproar would leave me shrugging my shoulders and going, "Eh." I do get bothered by, say, an obituary for 80-year-old men that lists his 45-year-old son as "his adopted son, so-and-so". But adopt-a-something-or-others, seen as a True Adoption Horror Story by some, are seen as a learning moment by me. And these days I try to grit my teeth and gracefully segue away from conversational gambits such as "Oh, you are such GOOD people to adopt one of Those Poor Girls!" or "You know they..." (whisper) "...kill little girls Over There, don't you?!" Luckily, such topics seem to have faded away a lot recently. But something as glaring and obvious as this, simply dropping two kids out of the picture because they're not bio-babes, has me pretty grumpy. What kind of message does this send out to adopted kids who tour the museum? This--mom, dad, bio-babe--this is a family! But you--adopted kids--well, it's not quite the same thing, don't ya know? Or maybe it's that they're of a different race? I don't know what lack of braincells prompted this adoption gaffe. I don't really care. I just think it's pretty horrid. I'm indebted to Kirei Kirei on the Adoption Debate board at NOTI for this tip.
Just a quick note to folks who have dropped comments for me in the past few days--OmegaDad is out of town (again!), things are hectic at work (again!), and I'm behind on responses. I'll be doing a roundup soon! Promise!
posted by Kate @ 7/26/2006 05:52:00 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 7/26/2006 06:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Un-effing believable is all I'm gonna say!

     
  • At 7/26/2006 09:15:00 PM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    It might be because of the contrast. The prescence of Maddox and Zahara would make Brad's skin look eerily transparent, and that won't do.

    I know this, because I look eerily transparent next to my kids, but I don't care! No one's looking at me, anyway.

     
  • At 7/26/2006 09:50:00 PM, Blogger ©Jac said…

    How sad.

     
  • At 7/27/2006 07:25:00 AM, Blogger Space Mom said…

    Um, that's just bizzarre.

    Good luck this week. Hard to have a tough work week with deadlines and no daddy to help....

     
  • At 7/27/2006 11:14:00 AM, Blogger Julie Pippert said…

    Well gosh Omega...it's obvious to me! They aren't their real kids! And they don't have the Jolie-Pitt shared gene line. I mean, that kid is an Uber Kid. Special. And real.

    Ahem.

    Tongue out of cheek now.

    You know what? I know I am being facetious but I also know that is how "they" are probably really thinking.

    And you know what?

    Phhhhbbbbtttt to them.

    It makes my heart bleed for Maddox and Zahara.

    Then I remember that while they might not share the so-called limelight at the wax museum (a dubious honor at best)...they do share the wealth (and I mainly mean rich in love) and the gusher throttles back to a trickle.

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf