A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
For less than the cost of a tank full of gas
...I purchased OmegaDotter her very first bike at lunchtime at The Evil Empire (WalMart). Y'see, we had been out-and-about this weekend, including hauling the tricycle out of the bedroom, and going for walks. The problem is that the dotter has grown an awful lot since last fall (we are now on our third size of bluejeans since September!). So there she was, on her tricycle, and her knees were hitting the handlebars, when they weren't up around her ears. This bike is purple and pink and aqua. Oh-so-girly. Sigh. You can either get a very girly-girl bike, or a very boy-boy bike, but nothing that's in between. I stashed the bike in the back of the Little Green Car. There was no way on earth that OmegaDotter was going to miss it...But I told her, when I picked her up at daycare, that I had "a surprise" for her. Har! She was so fixated on the idea of "a surprise" being something small that she didn't even look in the back of the car! So I was able to grab the camera and record the event for posterity (and the blog and the scrapbook): A surprise? For me?

Ooooh! A bike!

After a wobbly start, she was going...going...gone:



As requested by a friend--"hair blowing in the wind":

And the very happy OmegaDotter, admiring her new bike:

For those who worry--Yes, she now has a helmet. Yes, she has various padded devices to keep the knobby parts safe. But. The helmet is too big. The various padded devices are too big. We're going to have to work on this, I think. Her tiny hiney is matched by other tiny parts, even though she's grown tall enough to actually fit into size 4, so long as it's an adjustable-waist size 4. The dotter is not very used to the idea of pushing back on the pedals to stop. And the bike, when going down small hills, Goes Too Fast. Just one more step on the "my little baby is growing up" sob story.
posted by Kate @ 5/08/2006 06:42:00 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 5/08/2006 07:21:00 PM, Blogger Johnny said…

    Nice and sweet.

     
  • At 5/08/2006 11:07:00 PM, Blogger oshee said…

    She looks very happy with her new bike. She'll be wanting those training wheels off soon enough!

     
  • At 5/08/2006 11:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    um.... the pics are adorable and I could just eat her she is so cute... and then I look back through them, thinking how cute she is, and I realize that on the "a surprise! For me?!" pic she... has.... her... hands.... in... her... pants....

    ....bringing me to wonder what kind of surprise she's thinking about!

    Ok, the caption cracked me up, but I really love the pics and the bike is cute, though obscenely girly.

    Helmet too big.... unheard of around here. All helmets are too small for my kid, who is Big of Head.

     
  • At 5/08/2006 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Liz! I knew someone would catch that one. Pockets? We don't need no steenking pockets!

    As for the girly-ness...at least it doesn't have streamers.

     
  • At 5/08/2006 11:55:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    PAGent, trust me, I will definitely do the helmet thing. As for leading by example...um...I am ashamed to admit that my bike has been hanging in the garage for three years now, and I have no idea what condition it's in, so right now a helmet is kind of moot for me. I do, however, know what condition I am in, sigh. But it's time for mom's bike to come out of hibernation, and mom's flabby bod to get some exercise.

     
  • At 5/09/2006 04:16:00 PM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Oooh, she is so cute and so LITTLE, and you think she's growing up too fast?!

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf