A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Currying favor
Mr. OmegaMom has a flaw. (Gasp! Say it isn't so!) He cannot handle spicy foods at all, sigh. I adore a good chili...a nice, hot kung pao chicken (I make a darned good one, if I do say so myself)...curried chicken on rice, with a goodly variety of condiments on hand...samosas with mint sauce, ahhhh. Alas, all these things attack poor Mr. OmegaMom's tummy violently. It isn't just hot-spicy that does him, but also just "different" spicy. So, over the years, he has learned to avoid these foods. (I get indigestion, as well, but only minor, and it is so worth it!) So I get my Thai or Indian food fix by going out with the Society of Geeky Gals at lunchtime now and then, or sneak OmegaDotter off to a good Mexican restaurant for dinner whilst Mr. OmegaMom is off at one of his night courses getting edumacated. I've been lusting for curry lately. At lunchtime, I was hauled out of training by one of the gals in the administrative area of my department--our document imaging system was being cantankerous and not allowing anyone to log in. While I was fixing various logins and lecturing folks about The Proper Use of Logging Out And How It Cleans Up Connections To Databases (thus helping avoid the dreaded "You have exceeded the number of allowable connections blah, blah, blah" message), the scent of curried lentils being munched on by one of the staff wafted past my nostrils. As tonight was a getting edumacated night for Mr. OmegaMom, I promptly vowed to indulge my lusts at dinnertime. Home we came. Dishes got washed. I hauled out the curry powder, the chili powder, the chicken, the potatoes, the (light) coconut milk, the raisins, the shredded coconut, and proceeded to whip up a truly yummy curry. Not hot, but oh-so-good. OmegaDotter, of course, wanted nothing of it. She subsisted on plain rice with butter, a peapod or two, and some raw carrots. Some day...
Mr. OmegaMom, in his guise as SuperDad! arrived home in time to keep the dotter up an hour past her bedtime. Luckily, though, he didn't reveal to her his catch of the day: the latest issue of "Young Rider", "The Magazine For Horse and Pony Lovers". Featured stories: "You Can Adopt A MUSTANG!"; "the Inside SCOOP on Riding Camp Horses"; "TRUE STORY: 'I Went to a Martha Josey Barrel Racing Clinic!'" (who dat?); "How to Ride a New Horse For the First Time". Bonus bonanza! →HUGE Color Posters!←
Not everything is horsies in OmegaDotter's world. Lately, she has taken to singing and dancing some sets from various favorite movies. One is Doll on a Music Box from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which she performs with adorably jerky doll motions, just like the version in the movie (the link goes to a clip from the Broadway production). The other favorite is Part of That World, from the Little Mermaid. I get serenaded with this every few nights at bedtime by a very earnest little girl in a kitty-cat nightgown who has every gesture, every pause, down pat. "I want to see them dancing...walking around on those--what do you call them? Oh! Feet!" Ah, me. She's my little Drama Queen.
posted by Kate @ 3/29/2006 01:07:00 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 3/29/2006 07:13:00 AM, Blogger Johnny said…

    My favorite Thai restaurant has the specialty dishes on a single page with cute names. I used to be a fan of one called "Tiger Cry". But now, I always get one called "Spontaneous Combustion". I know when it's good when the fillings in my teeth start heating up and my choppers feel...ummm, disengaged from my gums.

    Oh yes...BABY!

     
  • At 3/29/2006 11:07:00 AM, Blogger Amanda said…

    I have recently developed a liking for mildly spicy foods myself. I also recently learned how to make samosas myself.

    I just can't figure out how to make a good chutney to go with them so I always end up using Salsa instead.

    If only Samosas weren't so deep fried and laden with fat. I found an Indian restaurant in the basement of an appartment building really close to me with the best samosas and chutney. I think I gained about three pounds that day alone. Sigh.

    Amanda

     
  • At 3/29/2006 02:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    See - ballet is coming! I'm another spice fan: curry, Thai, Mexican... YUM!!! You would love living around here; the curry is great.

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf