A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Because I have a daughter
...the latest news on the ban-abortion front has me worried. I don't like abortions; I don't think anyone does. It's not like folks who are pro-choice are out there urging all and sundry preggo females they encounter that they should get abortions. But. But. I have a number of female friends who have been raped. I have a SIL whose first (eagerly awaited) pregnancy was revealed, at 12 weeks, to be a fetus with severe defects. Looking back, I know that one of my best friends in grammar school was being molested by her stepfather. I had a friend who religiously took her birth control pills, but still got pregnant. The governor of South Dakota signed the bill outlawing all abortions except in cases where the mother's life is in danger. Those lucky, lucky women who were raped or subjected to incest can have emergency contraception, whoopee. Mississippi has a similar law wending its way through the state legislature. Pinko Feminist Hellcat has an excellent post about the current anti-abortion push. Read it.
posted by Kate @ 3/07/2006 09:49:00 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At 3/07/2006 08:18:00 PM, Blogger Miss Cellania said…

    Also, I (and probably you) have known women who got illegal back alley abortions.

    You don't have to be in favor of something (or against it) to believe the government should back off the issue.

     
  • At 3/09/2006 10:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's because you have a daughter (especially one you adopted from a country that doesn't value female life highly) that you should be against it.

     
  • At 3/09/2006 11:59:00 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    Hi, Anonymous--Sorry, I'm a wee bit confused. Are you saying I should be against the SD law, or against abortion?

     
  • At 3/11/2006 12:04:00 AM, Blogger Reid said…

    I think anonymous doesn't have a point, only that he's trying to tell you how you should think.

    Yeah, I'm assuming he's a he.

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf