A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
Five years ago...

OmegaDad and I were getting ready for a three-day weekend spent in the Bay Area attending the wedding of some friends from Los Alamos, and spending some time with Omega relatives.

That morning, I drove into work in the sparkling sun.  I never listen to news or music; it's my "morning time" to daydream and get into the swing of going to work.

I got into work early; there was only one other person in already.  I turned on my computer and (bad workerbee!) immediately went to my Current Debates board, because there was some hot debate that I was following, and I wanted to see what was going on.

I opened it up, and there was a monster thread.  Just scanning the subject lines let me know something horrible had happened.  I opened it up and read it.  The world fell apart.  I wandered into Mike Z.'s office, befuddled and horrified.  He looked up at me with an ashen face.  The day was spent in a haze of disbelief.

Mr. O and I had been planning to fly--all flights were canceled.  But the bride and groom had decided to drive straight through from South Carolina--so we, too, drove, motoring across Arizona and the Mojave Desert in an eerie quiet.  No planes overhead, no contrails.  Not many cars, either.

The wedding was beautiful, joyous.

The shock waves of that day still reverberate through our lives.

I can't do justice to it.  Some of my blogging buddies have:

The Ravin' Picture Maven - Another 9-11 Nightmare
SpaceAge Housewife - September's Winds of Change

Some other blogging buddies have joined in the 2996 Tribute: Honoring the 9-11 Victims Project:

Miss Cellania - Robert C. McLaughlin
Clueless in Carolina - A Tribute to Christopher Quackenbush
Stupid Grin - Ricknauth Jaggernauth
A Scrapper's Thoughts - A Letter to Brad Vados

2996 Tribute

Technorati:

posted by Kate @ 9/10/2006 09:43:00 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 9/11/2006 09:22:00 AM, Blogger Julie Pippert said…

    That was one of the weirdest things, for a while: the silence. The weird empty, silent skies. It had been so loud on 9/11 and then the next week was so quiet.

    I love that the wedding went on. The sharpest beauty can be the juxtaposition of beautiful life going on next to devastation.

    Thanks for the compliment (the link).

     
  • At 9/11/2006 11:32:00 AM, Blogger josetteplank.com said…

    I agree with Julie.

    Babies were born. Weddings celebrated.

    Life insists on itself.

    Life persists.

    It goes on, continuing to be worth living.

     
  • At 9/11/2006 04:25:00 PM, Blogger Carol Anne said…

    FYI - the original 2996 site crashed this morning. It is being mirrored at:
    http://www.madmommajen.com/

    Thanks for the link!

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf