A "good enough" mom muses about alpha moms, adoption, computers, the State Of The World, Internet quirkiness, and the Kosmik All
"Own"
One last glance at MSNBC, to see what's goin' on in the Big Wide World Out There. One headline that caught my attention: Is Angelina Jolie Expecting? Digression: I'm not much of a celebrity-watcher, but La Jolie is followed in adoption circles due to her stated desire to have a child from every country... One photo caption that sent me ballistic: "Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, accompanied by Jolie's children, arrive at Narita Airport in suburban Tokyo on Nov. 27. Could the couple have another child of their own on the way?" (Emphasis mine.) Goddamn. I am just so tired of the "child of their own" bullshit. What, did we just borrow OmegaDotter? Is she a library book that we're expected to return as soon as the loan period is over? When I kick the bucket at age 90+, will my obituary list my 50-year-old daughter as my "adopted daughter"? Grrr. I know those who haven't adopted will think this is picayune, petty PC-ish-ness. But these attitudes, coupled with the attitudes that adoptees are inevitably Bad Seeds, castoffs from bad families, just make me growl.
posted by Kate @ 1/03/2006 09:36:00 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 1/04/2006 09:34:00 AM, Blogger Momma Star said…

    I don't find it picayune or petty. At best it's poor writing. At worst, intentionally hurtful.

    (((Omega)))

     
  • At 1/04/2006 05:05:00 PM, Blogger oregoncelticlady said…

    I totally agree! It is kind of like "child first language", putting the child before the disease...ex: saying, a child with down syndrome, instead of a down syndrome child. The child has the condition, not the condition having the child. Easy change in one language that makes a world of difference to many! New here, couldn't find your cookie pics but glad I came by anyway....visit me anytime...I need fans ;-).

     
  • At 1/05/2006 01:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We all borrow our children whether we birth or adopt them. Children belong to themselves, not to us. We just get to ride along with them for a while and once you're on that train does it really matter how you boarded?

    Ano

     
Post a Comment << Home
About Me
Name: OmegaMom
Home: Southwest
About Me: Middle-aged mom of a 4-year-old adopted from China. Love science, debate, good SF and fantasy, hiking, music of almost every style. Lousy housekeeper. "Good enough" mom.
See my complete profile
Subscribe!

Quote of the Day
Bloggy Stuff





- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)

BLOGGER

Blogarama - The Blogs Directory



Parents Blog Top Sites


NOTI Blogs
Join | List | Random
Powered by RingSurf